Steps to foster care for gays and lesbians
Our friends at eHow.com offer general steps to help guide gays and lesbians to fostering.
1. Identify the foster home division in your county welfare department and obtain a listing of agencies that license foster homes. Both state-operated and private agencies exist.
2. Consult a local gay or lesbian organization to help identify which agencies are willing to accommodate your specific situation.
3. Investigate an agency thoroughly before making your selection.
4. Use discretion when supplying information to an agency. Avoid volunteering your sexual orientation if you sense it might damage your chances of becoming licensed.
5. Fill out the foster licensing application provided by the agency. Expect to be interviewed at your home by an agency employee. This person will help determine if you demonstrate a stable and responsible environment for a prospective foster child.