vpnMentor conducted a survey in which 695 LGBTQ+ people worldwide were asked about their experiences online as they relate to their sexual orientation and gender identity. The results illuminated the unique challenges faced by the LGBTQ+ community.
Here are some of key findings:
- 73% of all respondents in all categories of gender identity and sexual orientation have been personally attacked or harassed online.
- 50% of all respondents in all categories of gender identity and sexual orientation have suffered sexual harassment online.
- When it comes to sexual orientation, asexual people feel the least safe online, and gay men the safest.
- When it comes to gender identity, transgender women feel the least safe online, and cisgender men the safest.
- Transgender women are the most likely to be outed against their will online, while cisgender men are least likely.