Earlier this month a lesbian couple in Idaho – and their three foster children – were denied a reduced admission price to a pool in eastern Idaho because “the Lava Hot Springs State Foundation says the five don’t fit the definition of a family”.

Mark Lowe, executive director for the Lava Hot Springs State Foundation, says the state doesn’t recognize gay or lesbian marriage and defines a family as one male, one female and children.

He says as a state agency the foundation must follow Idaho law.

But Monica Hopkins of the American Civil Liberties Union in Boise says state code defines marriage but has no universal definition of a family.

News 8 in Idaho talked to the couple and to the water park owners.

WATCH THE NEWS REPORT:

[clip via Pam’s House Blend]

6 thoughts on “VIDEO: Lesbian moms and foster kids in Idaho denied family rate at their community swimming pool

• June 10, 2009 at 4:18 pm

My God, what is this country when you are not even allowed to the local pool. How in the world did they even figure out that the young children were theirs? It is really none of their business if they were a Lesbian couple or not. I was also asked about me taking my great nephew to our local pool & was questioned about myself. I couldn’t even sit in the seats alone, because they want a straight couple watching their own kids, they think I was in the stands alone checking everyone out. It is also a public pool where everyone can go to. I have now purchased my own 5′ pool for my nephew & can watch him without people judging me. Yes, I a guy man, 50 years old & have no intention of looking at other guys at the pool.

• June 10, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Clinton set the standard for defining the color blue when he had to argue over the definition of “is”.

• June 10, 2009 at 12:18 pm

So now, as well as defining marriage, they want to define what makes a family? They are really terrified of us! What’s next? Defining what the color blue is? They have already defined themselves…as bigoted idiots.

• June 11, 2009 at 3:36 am

“…what is this country when you are not even allowed to the local pool.”

NO ONE was denied entry to the pool. These women were simply denied a special rate typically reserved for married people and their children.

• June 10, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Oh I see – Penis + Vagina, and children (probabaly all the same color white/christian? Typical RED state BS.

• June 16, 2009 at 10:49 pm

Reserved for married people and their children? What, do you think they check marriage certificates at the front desk? That’s crazy. If a man and a woman came with their three foster children, you can bet they wouldn’t be turned away. No one would even ask if they were married.