President Obama Issues LGBT Pride Month Proclamation

President Obama issued the following Pride Month proclamation late this afternoon on the occasion of the 40th anniversary of Stonewall:

BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
A PROCLAMATION

Forty years ago, patrons and supporters of the Stonewall Inn in New York City resisted police harassment that had become all too common for members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender (LGBT) community. Out of this resistance, the LGBT rights movement in America was born. During LGBT Pride Month, we commemorate the events of June 1969 and commit to achieving equal justice under law for LGBT Americans.

LGBT Americans have made, and continue to make, great and lasting contributions that continue to strengthen the fabric of American society. There are many well-respected LGBT leaders in all professional fields, including the arts and business communities. LGBT Americans also mobilized the Nation to respond to the domestic HIV/AIDS epidemic and have played a vital role in broadening this country’s response to the HIV pandemic.

Due in no small part to the determination and dedication of the LGBT rights movement, more LGBT Americans are living their lives openly today than ever before. I am proud to be the first President to appoint openly LGBT candidates to Senate-confirmed positions in the first 100 days of an Administration. These individuals embody the best qualities we seek in public servants, and across my Administration — in both the White House and the Federal agencies — openly LGBT employees are doing their jobs with distinction and professionalism.

The LGBT rights movement has achieved great progress, but there is more work to be done. LGBT youth should feel safe to learn without the fear of harassment, and LGBT families and seniors should be allowed to live their lives with dignity and respect.

My Administration has partnered with the LGBT community to advance a wide range of initiatives. At the international level, I have joined efforts at the United Nations to decriminalize homosexuality around the world. Here at home, I continue to support measures to bring the full spectrum of equal rights to LGBT Americans. These measures include enhancing hate crimes laws, supporting civil unions and Federal rights for LGBT couples, outlawing discrimination in the workplace, ensuring adoption rights, and ending the existing “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy in a way that strengthens our Armed Forces and our national security. We must also commit ourselves to fighting the HIV/AIDS epidemic by both reducing the number of HIV infections and providing care and support services to people living with HIV/AIDS across the United States.

These issues affect not only the LGBT community, but also our entire Nation. As long as the promise of equality for all remains unfulfilled, all Americans are affected. If we can work together to advance the principles upon which our Nation was founded, every American will benefit. During LGBT Pride Month, I call upon the LGBT community, the Congress, and the American people to work together to promote equal rights for all, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity.

NOW, THEREFORE, I, BARACK OBAMA, President of the United States of America, by virtue of the authority vested in me by the Constitution and laws of the United States, do hereby proclaim June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. I call upon the people of the United States to turn back discrimination and prejudice everywhere it exists.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, I have hereunto set my hand this first day of June, in the year of our Lord two thousand nine, and of the Independence of the United States of America the two hundred and thirty-third.

BARACK OBAMA

14 thoughts on “President Obama Issues LGBT Pride Month Proclamation

• June 3, 2009 at 8:07 am

to “A parent under duress in Pierce County, WA”:
    Beyond the virtue of being a loving, gentle and respectful young man, your son has the ultimate in blessings: you as a parent.
    What a gift…as I traveled through your letter it was obvious to me that while he may suffer the slings and arrows for standing out from that crowd (and I commend him for that), the mere fact that he has someone of your evolved nature as a parent, friend and go-to, will carry him through.
    I am sitting here at my desk, moved by your letter…and lifted by your heart.
    thank you.

• June 2, 2009 at 3:01 am

Recently my son was gay bashed at 6th grade camp by kids who were instructed by a counselor to role play crips and bloods. We live down near major military bases in Pierce County and the “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell” policy creates much homophobia from what I can see. Diversity is important to people, plants and the military…but sometimes this translation gets lost on the conservatives who what to bully us. Things got a bit out of hand. My son came home and told me that he thought he is gay because he is non-violent, does not want to fight, or rape or basically do anything that involves being so disrespectful to his peers or girls. At 12 he clearly states he is not ready for sex. As his parent I ask…why can’t he just be a kid? If being Gay means you are gentle, artistic, non-violent and respectful…then I guess my whole family is gay, and Jesus Christ is Gay….I do support LGBT marriage and civil rights for all. Protecting the minority, protects the majority. Equality must be for all of us, especially the least of us.
    Blessings…a parent under duress in Pierce County, WA.

• June 2, 2009 at 10:47 pm

Mr. President,

You need to give a speech on discrimination in the black community towards Gays.
    Time to tell your folk that it is not acceptable.
    Step up to the plate sir or you’ll lose my vote in 2010.
    Gays should hold back our votes if he doen’t address this issue.
    imagine blacks discriminating, is that ironic?
    signed,
    last chance

• June 2, 2009 at 2:35 am

We love him but we need and want MORE than this. It best be a precursoer to better things to come…

• June 2, 2009 at 3:06 am

The speech says he proclaims June 2009 as Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month. Will this stick, meaning, will it also be National Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Pride Month EVERY June from now on? Or do we just get it this once and that’s it?

• June 2, 2009 at 12:07 am

Very nice. Can we get married now?

• June 2, 2009 at 1:00 am

True. I looked for the word “marriage” and didn’t see it.

But it’s lightyears away from Bush the Younger.

Welcome to the Allied side, Mr. President. =)

• June 2, 2009 at 1:11 am

IMHO if he really wanted to make a true Proclamation, he should have done it when the CA SC decision on Prop 8 was announced!

Barack, your lips are moving, but other than a few appointments, I’m not feeling or seeing true action being taken.

I’d hate for the LGBT community to get screwed like we did w/Clinton! Promises were made then and we got DADT!

• June 2, 2009 at 5:36 am

I wonder how those who helped fight for our rights 40 years ago feel about out attitudes towards a great step in the right direction!!

I bet out of the people who commented on this, non of them ACTUALLY did or are doing anything to get us any closer to equal rights.

Stop complaining and start being patient, we are Americans in the age of instant gradification. We can’t get equal rights at the click of a mouse!

• June 2, 2009 at 5:57 am

This deff gives my generation hope.. I dont want to wait like most GLBT, I want this ASAP.

• June 2, 2009 at 6:49 am

Give him a chance!!! damn, things dont just happen over nite!! we have alot of years to overcome….for ourselves and ouR children! He is making very positive moves in all the right directions!! GO OBAMA!!!!!! 🙂

• June 2, 2009 at 2:17 am

you won’t see gay marriage at federal level he never said he stood for that, however he did promise to repeal DOMA so he better do it.

• June 1, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Nice attempt, but let’s see some real substance, like support of gay marriage at the federal level, and federal laws that encourage true equality for the LGBT community in housing, and employment; and, a repeal of DOMA.

• June 21, 2009 at 6:11 am

i’m sorry, but I completely disagree. You’re right, in that things don’t happen over night. And none of us expect them to. That’s why it was so great that after 40 years of fighting, it is now time! We elected a president who won even with repealing Clinton’s Defense of Marriage Act and Don’t Ask Don’t Tell on his slate! The people have spoken! This is what we want, and we won’t wait any longer for civil rights. By running for president with the stated intention of repealing these discriminatory laws and validating them through inaction (not blocking Lt. Dan Choi’s discharge was not a positive move in the right direction, it was quite the opposite), President Obama has gone back on his word and has lost the mandate of the people who voted for him under this understanding.

I am a big supporter of obama, but I think that we can not be passive about this. stand up and speak out, and let Obama know that this is not okay! As to the poster who accused us of not being involved, I encourage each and every one of you to join, as I have, the national marriage boycott on http://marriageboycott.ning.com/ . It’s a great movement.