Around this age, your toddler would be big enough to outgrow the crib. This is an indication that it is time for a toddler bed. However, the transition from a crib to a toddler bed may not be very easy and smooth for the toddler.
Here are some tips to ensure your toddler has a smooth transition from a crib to a bed:
* Ensure that the bed is very comfortable and inviting.
* Let the toddler decide on the most suitable bed.
* Keep things that attract the toddler near the bed.
* Accustom your toddler to the new bed by keeping it in front of the toddler for some time prior to actually using it.
* Impress upon the toddler that moving out of the crib is the most wonderful thing to look forward to.
* Ensure that all the things your toddler enjoys doing, are done in the toddler bed itself.
* Place the toddler bed in the same position in your house as the crib was.
* Show your appreciation of the new toddler bed.
* If your toddler is just not ready to move to a bed, do not force a transition; forcing your toddler to move out of a crib may develop hatred for a bed altogether.
* Do not make the prospect of moving to a toddler bed a boring or mechanical affair for the toddler. Instead, try to instill excitement in the toddler about the prospect of moving out of the crib.