Tanene Allison [pictured] offers an overview for those who are still undecided or [gasp] supporting John McCain for president.
Her latest blog entry at Huffington Post points out that McCain is not our friend. Tanene’s compiled everything homophobic about John McCain and compares the list to all things progressive about Barack Obama. For example:
- McCain believes that the family represents the foundation of Western Civilization and civil society and John McCain believes the institution of marriage is a union between one man and one woman. It is only this definition that sufficiently recognizes the vital and unique role played by mothers and fathers in the raising of children, and the role of the family in shaping, stabilizing, and strengthening communities and our nation.
- He opposes Civil Unions. He believes same-sex couples should create legal structures of protection via private attorneys rather than achieve equal marriage rights.
- McCain also supports PROP 8 – on the ballot in California. Before this, he supported the only anti-LGBT Rights constitutional amendment ballot initiative in his home state of Arizona.
- And – in a recent interview – McCain said that, as President, he would sign into law a Federal Amendment defining marriage as between one man and one woman, although he had previously voted against such an amendment.
- Most worrisome is the fact that McCain does not believe that LGBT couples should be allowed to adopt.
In her post, Tanene directs us to a video which shows McCain explaining his stance on LGBT adoption. We’ve included it below.
Image: The Point Foundation