This is a good place to start your journey towards successful insemination. There are a few choices you can make after first learning your options – so basic definitions are required.

Artificial Insemination (AI)
Artificial insemination (AI) is a common procedure lesbians use to become pregnant. In AI, sperm is injected into a woman’s cervix, uterus, fallopian tube, or ovarian follicle. Sperm is typically selected from a sperm bank or from a known donor. This may be done at home.

Sperm Bank
A sperm bank is an organization that collects and stores sperm for artificial insemination. Gay men can store their own sperm for later use with a surrogate, and lesbians can get sperm from donors to be used for artificial insemination.

Second Parent Adoption
This is common among gay and lesbian parents. This may be an option when the biological or legal parent of a child or children is in a relationship with another adult wanting to share parental rights and responsibilities. In contrast to stepparent adoption/domestic partner adoption second parent adoption is used only when the parents can’t marry or become domestic partners. The biological or legal parent consents to relinquish sole custody of the child so that his/her partner can become a second, legal parent. The process may take months to complete and an attorney is typically required to work with the court system.

More Definitions

Image: ProudParenting.com member – trabran3

8 thoughts on “Insemination may be your best option for starting a family. Learn the basics first

• April 12, 2008 at 4:55 am

My partner and I are interested in TTC in the new year. We are in a delima now about wether we should use a close friend and a known doner or a sperm bank. The known doner has expressed interest in becoming parents with my partner for several years and they are very close. I am not sure if this will be in our best ineterest or the baby’s for that matter. On one hand we would like our baby to be able to know his/her father, however this seems to imply complications legaly in the future. He has expressed that he would like the baby to cary his last name and to have monthly or anual visitation. I already have 3 children myself and have had alot of drama with custody and visitation so I know how ugly people can be in these situations, so this causes some fear on my part as far as going thru this at all. We live in Nevada which is not a very gay friendly state to begin with so I am not sure what the laws are regarding second parent adoption, or open adoption for that matter…

Does anyone have expierence with this to share?

• April 13, 2008 at 1:52 am

hi! i just happened to stumble upon your question and i talked about this subject in my blog.

check it out here. it’s tagged in the ttc section.

best of luck! be blessed!

• July 29, 2008 at 5:16 pm

If the child has his last name and calls the donor “dad” then your “known donor” will be a legal father, not a donor. This is a very big decision. In the eyes of the law someone is a parent or a donor, they cannot be both. I urge you to seek legal advice. Contact the National Center for Lesbian Rights for a refferral.

• December 19, 2008 at 1:41 am

Me and my partner want to have a baby ,but we do not know how to get started does anybody know how or where should we get started???

• September 7, 2009 at 3:19 am

Hi!. I just found this site and saw some of the issues on here and I wasn’t quite sure was it for all women or just lesbian women?. I meant no harm in my question. I am a very
    heterosexual woman and mother of two, whom want to have a baby girl preferably next year without the drama of a male counterpart, that will give you hell over the child.Don’t get me wrong, all males aren’t irresponsible, rude to women,liars or abusive. Just most of them are.I no longer want the drama, been through that done that!. Now I have some peace and no drama from either dad. I am christian too, so having a baby without a husband(I prayed for) or natural related known sperm donor (sex) is my dilemmaed morality?.I love god with all my soul and I want a baby out of love and the right way I suppose but, without the heartbreaking drama most men take you through. What am I to do?… I would love responses from a christian point of view and woman’s point of view? Thanks. Please consider I’ll be 40 years old next june.

• September 7, 2009 at 10:20 pm

My partner and I are wanting to have a baby, but are not wanting to spend all the money to use a sperm bank. What advice do you have for finding a sperm donor in our area?

• September 7, 2009 at 2:56 am

I am a proud mommy of a beautiful and smart 14 year old daughter and 4 year old son.I read your story and can totally relate. My daughter’s father did nothing for her as a baby or her formative years. He decided to take me to court to see her more than the few times he ever did anyway. The judge rammed me because I was single, black and a modest income mother.I was and am a darn good mom he got more rights than deserved, I did everything for that child, she is successful in school because of my supportive and drive for her to go all the way. He now sees her in the summers and still does very little for her at her first meet at 11 years old. Years alone, I met my son’s father whom “I told this one is the one!”. Never saw it coming! he was cheating on me with his ex-wife the whole 4 years of our relationship.Our son is now 4 years old and he has not seen his son since his 1st birthday in los angeles,in which he totally ruined.He says he does not want to see him until he’s 18 years old.So we did work out,rejecting your son is more hurtful than absolutely anything possible. He had two small children when I met him and I adored them and they loved me.I was better to them than their own mother who gave custody to him. I haven’t been in a relationship for a while until long after I had my son.I met my first interracial relationship,Everything was fine he decided to leave me for his Caribbean ex-girlfriend. He had no children.He gave me no sign or word of the departure,in which was this year. I decided that I no longer desired to be involved with any man at this stage in my life of 39 years. I am very heterosexual and a good and fun type of girl who believed in love, loyal and support of my man. I feel so heartbroken by love and I as a christian woman whom loves the heck out of kids, told god I want a little girl without a physical father that will give me dram and pain. I am torn by morality and my heart?. I love god more than anything and I can’t image a day without him!. I wanna know what should I do? I want a baby by next year. I welcome advice and spiritual advice too. I have a appointment with a clinic at the end of september…help?.

• August 4, 2009 at 6:56 pm

My partner and I are wanting to have a baby using her egg and donated sperm with me carrying! any advice?