Week two

So the past week has seen a LOT of change.. all of it good change, a lot of growth from hectic to stabilization. He’s had two more family visits, both went “well” as far as I know. Of course I really don’t know much, I only see the aftermath, but what I have seen is a few minutes of crying and then he just promptly passes out on the drive home and is back to normal.

I went to a support group on Saturday for gay foster and adoptive parents, which was nice. I’ve been going for over a year, but this was my first time with a kiddo. It was pretty cute – when the meeting was over, he came up and saw me and made a very loud squeal of delight when he saw me.

This is kind of a double-edged sword though. He is pretty happy to see anyone. He has a tendency to “make friends” anywhere. It’s not really OK when we take him out to eat and he goes and starts trying to hug random people in the restaurant. He does get VERY excited about eating (he is also quite overweight) but that’s probably pushing it. πŸ˜‰ He’s especially happy to see me, which is good, but needs to learn that not all people are “good” or want a 2 year old hanging all over them.

Sleeping has also gotten MUCH better for him – and consequently for me. 2 nights ago, I slept in my own bed, with his and my door open, and woke up around 4am to see him sleeping on the floor in the hallway where I had previously been sleeping. This was a step forward in that he didn’t start crying. Last night though, he slept thru the entire night – I think in his own bed. I woke up around 6:45am to him playing in his bedroom, so he didn’t wake me up once all night.

It was a little bit entertaining, thanks to DST it was a lot darker than I am used to. I thought it was probably 4am-ish again, so I am groggy and as I walk into the hallway, I see a lump asleep on the floor.. so I tell the lump to go back to bed. The lump then rolls over and I realize it’s my German shepherd. oops. πŸ˜‰ so then I make it into his room, where I start to ask him to go back to bed again before realizing it’s actually 15 minutes past the time he normally wakes up and I was just thrown off by the dark. So then I wake myself up and start the day laughing to myself (mostly for telling my dog to go back to bed). πŸ™‚

My social worker stopped by yesterday. I wasn’t really sure what to expect. It wasn’t a surprise visit, they just need to do weekly checkups to make sure everything is running smoothly. Basically we just talked, the kid played a bit. I think we’re doing pretty well. Things are at least progressing in the right direction. He isn’t suddenly the “miracle kid” but has shown very noticeable signs of improvement in the 2 weeks he’s been here, which is wonderful.

Another new twist is that a friend of mine stayed the weekend with us from out of town, and is wanting to move back to Denver. Well, I don’t know if I can have a roommate now that I have a foster kid, without having him get checked out.. so I’ve got to call social services and ask them how many hoops he will have to jump through to stay here for 2 months. He also wants to bring his dog, so that would bring me up to 3 dogs in the house. This could get … even more interesting. Yikes!

Anyway.. that’s all for now. Until the next exciting thing happens… πŸ˜‰

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.